December 30, 2018
GODLINESS: COVENANT GATEWAY TO GREATNESS- PART 4
“And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing”- Genesis 12:2.
Greatness is our heritage in redemption. Being born again positions us for greatness; because the great God cannot give birth to dwarfs as children. So every child of God is ordained to be mighty on earth, ordained for impact and to be envied, just like Isaac. Greatness connotes God making your name great.
However, this greatness in redemption is at the mercy of our Godliness ie our departure from sin, (living a righteous and sanctified life) because sin can rob you of the glory of greatness. You lose ground on the greatness God has packaged for you every time you indulge in sin. ( Proverbs 1:23, Romans 3:23)
There is always what to do to access our heritage. For example, salvation is available to all but you must repent first to activate it. If you are too big to repent you cannot be saved by God. So, the fear of God is a fundamental demand because the Bible says it is the beginning of wisdom without which no man can reign. He has ordained greatness for us but without His fear, we sell our birthright, just like Esau did.( Proverbs 9:10, Proverbs 8:15)
In Daniel 2:46, the King bowed to Daniel because he refused to go the way of others. Daniel purposed not to defile himself .The foundation to greatness is godliness. In Job 1:1-3, the Bible refers to Job as an upright and a great businessman. You do not have to do business in a worldly way to experience success; just do it in a godly way.
Having established that ungodliness robs us of greatness, we need to know the forces responsible for it and how to overcome them. The quest for godliness is a fight; you do not wish it...you do not confess it...you work it out. Your position with God is negated by your actions if you are doing evil. You cannot be stealing and be confessing righteousness for the bible says, that he that doeth righteousness is righteous. Righteousness is a continuous walk with God , an unending journey , a heart that lifetime one and therefore we must take responsibility.
What does it take to overcome ungodliness?
- Engage the Spirit of love to overcome the spirit of the world. (2nd Timothy 1:6-7). There is a Spirit dimension to love and you cannot walk in true love and continue in sin because love does not work any harm to its Love is the nature of God and we need an empowerment of the Spirit, to love God and work in it. No one can love God in the energy of the flesh because when challenges come, the will and determination of man will fail. We need to perpetually covet the baptism of the Spirit of love to empower us to love God and when we do, the lure to ungodliness loses its grip on us. The Spirit of love enables us to put God above every other thing and, it's either you love Him or you love the world (1st John 2:15-17). The love of God is shed abroad in our heart by the Holy Ghost (Romans 5:5) and supersedes all. We should not love job, career, spouses, children, business or money more than God. The love of the world in Verse 16 talks about the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life.
- The lust of the flesh rules actions, allowing the body to control and determine our actions. The man becomes subject to fleshy emotions and feelings. The lust of the flesh destroyed Samson completely.
- The lust of the eyes controls how you see It is the root of covetousness. People who are plagued by this are never satisfied or contented, always wanting what other's have. Actively engage the spirit of love by loving God, his people, messengers, work and house. The lust of the eyes destroyed Gehazi and Judas Iscariot. The cure for covetousness is contentment – Luke 12:15.
- The pride of life: The pride of life destroyed Nebuchadnezzar and Herod. The cure for pride is meekness. With the Spirit of love actively in us help us to overcome the spirit of the world- 1 Peter 3:4.
- Engage the name of Jesus in the battle against sin (2nd Corinthians 10:3-5). One of the greatest battles of life is the battle against sin. Satan had vowed that through sin, he will bring man down, just like he did to Adam. But we have to engage the name of Jesus to stop him. Every evil act begins with an evil thought - "for out of the heart of man proceed evil thoughts" - which can be subdued by the name of Jesus.
So when an evil thought comes, quickly run into the name of Jesus, which is a strong tower, to stop it (Proverbs 18:10). We must fight against sin the way we fight against deadly disease. Every negative thought should be arrested with positive words in the name of the Lord before it graduates to desire, lust and action.
- Engage in continuous spiritual exercise (Acts 24:16). Bodily exercise profits little, but godly exercise is profitable unto all things. Put your body under, allow God to have the final say and be occupied with spiritual things. You cannot be a successful christian by just attending Sunday service To overcome sin, you need to be actively involved in all church activities. Participate in prayer meetings and fast regularly because everyone must pay the price. These spiritual exercises are for our profiting, not for God, the church or the pastor. Nobody can exercise on your behalf. You must enter the spiritual gym and exercise yourself in prayer, fasting, bible study, word meditation and other things of God. (1 Timothy 4:8)
Benefits of Godliness
- Enhances the flow of revelation : Until we turn away from sin, we cannot have access to revelation. The scripture contains the light and the letter, the mysteries and the stories. Without godliness, you only have access to stories which have no power to change our lives. If your life does not experience changes for better, no matter how long you have been in a church, it means you do not have access to revelation. The mysteries of the word of God change life for the better. It is the mysteries of scripture that decorate and transform our lives and our access to these mysteries is the fear of God. It is the secret of God that makes stars. Everyone making waves is a custodian of the secrets which they are trading with. The difference between a successful businessman and a failed one is the different approaches which they apply. You can prosper without cheating, begging or bowing to any man.(Proverbs 1:23)
- It endangers peace, quietness and assurance. Proverbs 28:1 says the wicked flee when no man pursues. If you are a wrong-doer you will be afraid of so many things but a godly man fears nothing, even death. So repent of every evil and God will forgive, cleanse you and restore peace to your life.. Godliness also gives us boldness to challenge whatever intends to tamper with our peace because the truth is, the righteous are as bold as the lion. Peace is a great asset of destiny as without it, there can be no prosperity, productivity or greatness. God cannot step in for anybody, without peace because we need to be still to know that He is God.
- It empowers us for exploit: Godliness positions us for supernatural accomplishments after the order of Daniel, Job, Paul and others. The Bible says those who know their God will be strong and will do exploits.(Daniel 11:32)
Why do we give thanks to God?
- Thanksgiving is a debt we owe God, as individuals and as a church. It is not optional, but mandatory because there are consequences if we refuse to give thanks to God (Psalm 28:5). He reacts against ingratitude because it is a symptom of pride, which He resists. God is the giver of our breath; you may not have everything you desired for 2018 but you are still alive to know Those who do not have breath are not praying for anything...those who are buried are not wishing to be married, go to school or pass any exam. People should stop acting as if God owes them. We are the ones that owe Him because all we have today, we received from Him. Everybody came here naked, so we are not achievers but receivers of the manifold grace of God. So why would anyone now pose as if it’s their own? (Luke 17:15- 19, Psalm 150:6, 1Corinthians 4:7)
- God is the invisible hand behind the visible and invisible happenings in our life. There is no great man apart from the great God who can use anything to get anything done. God can use a stone in place of human, so no one should feel as if, if they were not there God will do nothing. There is an invisible hand behind all that we see. If that hand rests upon a donkey, it will speak. It was the hand of God upon dry bones that turned them to a great army.
- He is the source of every increase we have experienced over the years. Paul planted, Apollo watered, but God gave the increase. You can plant, you can water but you have no power to bring the increase. Your family, business, career, favour, understanding that you have and the breakthrough that you see are all because of God.(1 Corinthians 3:6)
What are we thanking God for?
For all His benefits, beginning with the forgiveness of our sins; for healing, deliverance, continuous supplies and total well-being (Psalm 103:1-5).
We also thank him for his wondrous works in our lives as evidenced by the wonderful, jaw-dropping testimonies that we see regularly. Even waking up from sleep is a miracle!
BENEFITS OF THANKSGIVING
- When we give thanks to God for what He has done, we remind Him of what remains. Of the ten lepers who were cleansed, one returned to thank the Healer and aa a result, Jesus proclaimed wholeness on him. Thanksgiving converts the good gifts of God to perfect gifts of God. If you want to experience perfection in any area of life, thank God for what you have. (Luke 17:11-19)
- It will keep God continuously at work, to keep the worker at work, we must continue to thank Him.
In conclusion, behind everything that is working, is the mighty God working behind the scene, and to keep him at work, you have to keep appreciating him, for it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.(Philippians 2:13)
Remain Ever Blessed !!! Jesus Is Lord!!!